Your tiled floors are prone to stains, dullness and tile grout which can all make your flooring look old and worn out well before its time. While cleaning ceramic tiles is not difficult, there are a couple of specific tips and methods to use to give them a deeper cleanse and reveal their original sheen. Take a look at our top picks for efficient cleaning and maintenance of your ceramic tiling.
How to Efficiently Clean and Maintain Ceramic Tiled Flooring
1. Sweep and Mop Daily
If you don’t want them to lose their shine, daily cleaning is advised. Dirt and dust get tracked in on a daily basis which leads to stains and marks on the floor. This is why sweeping up dirt and mopping up stains is a must. Here are a few mopping tips for ceramic tiles:
• Use minimal amount of a mild cleaner; excess product will leave a dulling residue on the surface over time
• Change the water regularly for efficient cleaning; tile grout will get dirtier if the water isn’t clean at all times.
• Choose a mop with a chamois or soft cloth head
2. Remove Built-Up Residue
Over the course of time, the use of cleaners can leave chemical residues on your tiles which give it a hazy appearance. This causes your tiles to look incredibly dull and lifeless. Moreover, the residue tends to build up with every clean. You can tackle this film-like residue in either of the following ways:
1. Mop the ceramic tiled flooring using an all-purpose cleaner which can be diluted.
2. Mix 1 part lemon juice in 3 parts water and pour it into a squirt bottle. Wet the floor using this solution and mop as you go. The acidic properties of lemon juice help to remove the residue.
To avoid residue buildup of your chosen cleaner, consider rinsing your floors using plain water and a fresh mop after the cleaning product has been used.
3. Grout Cleaning
Especially in bathrooms, tile grout can become filthy and unsightly if not cleaned promptly. The key here is to not wait too long as the dirtier or soiled your tile grout is, the more time and effort you'll need to clean it thoroughly. Our friends at House Keep Up Chicago even offers natural cleaning solutions that work best for cleaning tile grout by making them white again! Though it involves a painstaking procedure, it is worth it for the amazing after results! Here’s the method:
1. Make a paste of baking soda and water in a basin
2. Apply it to your grout lines by brushing it in with an old toothbrush; leave overnight or for 3-4 hours
3. Rinse the baking soda off by mopping with plain water
4. Clean Spills and Stains Immediately
To avoid staining your tile grout and quite possibly your ceramic tiling, clean up spills and stains as soon as you spot them. This can be done using all-purpose cleaner or a disinfectant if the cause of the stain is bacterial. All you need to do is spritz the area and wipe it up with a clean cloth.